TikTok is the new social network that is giving marketers to talk and one of the great surprises in recent years. In a very short time, Tiktok apk application has managed to reach no less than 800 million users. But if you are not in the right age segment, you may not have even heard of it.
What is TikTok and how does it work?
TikTok based on 15-second looping videos, something like the now defunct Vine. Although this format can give rise to a great variety of contents. At the moment the most popular are music videos of different styles, with the participation of the users themselves (like singing or playing instruments).
TikTok has its origin in the Chinese company Bytedance, owner of Toutiao (a very popular search engine in their country). It was originally called Douyin, which means “shake the music” in Chinese. In November 2017, Bytedance bought Musical.ly (an American social network) for 1 billion dollars, and from this merger came TikTok as we know it now. Curiously, it is the same amount that Facebook paid for Instagram.
And of course, there is reason to think that this network could achieve similar success. These numbers give us an idea of its popularity:
- At the beginning of 2020, it already had 800 million users. Which makes it the most popular Chinese application in the Western market.
- In 2019, the Tiktok apk app had been downloaded 1.5 billion times globally from the App Store and Google Play. according to data from SensorTower.
- TikTok has conquered a large part of the world’s youth, the so-called tiktokers, since 41% of its users are between the ages of 16 and 24, according to GlobalWebIndex in 2019.
- BusinessofApps claims that tiktokers spend an average of 52 minutes a day on the app.
- Users share video selfies in which they record themselves, often with background music accompanying their movements.
- TikTok offers the ability to edit videos before posting them and stands out for its great variety of fun filters.
- Within the application, we can find a chat for users to talk to each other and an exploration tab that allows you to discover the most popular videos of the moment, in a very similar way to Instagram.
- To connect with other users, TikTok has a follower and followed the system, like on Instagram or Twitter.
- Among other functions, the lists of friends and voting stand out.
To orient yourself within the TikTok apk application, the first thing you find is the main page, where you can see the most popular videos or those of the people you follow. If you decide to play a video, it will be displayed on full screen. You will see a series of icons to take different actions: follow the user, mark as “like”, comment or share.
In addition to this main screen, you can also find content in the browser tab or do your own searches. Please note that the videos are tagged with hashtags.
To record your own videos, you will have to hold down the middle button. You can release it and press it again to record your video in several takes, always respecting the maximum of 15 seconds. Likewise, when editing the video, you can apply different effects to different shots. In addition to recording content directly, you can also create scrollable videos from photos stored on your device.
TikTok for Brands
Looking at TikTok’s reach figures and projections for the future, it may be a good time to establish a brand presence on the web. Luckily, it has specific business pages where you can post your content and start connecting with users. If you want your page on this network to be a success, sign up for these recommendations :
Create exclusive content for TikTok. Trying to copy content or videos from other networks or websites doesn’t work well on TikTok, as it has a different and unique style. Instead, think about the type of content that unique and how your brand can contribute. In the next section, you can find a list of the most popular Spanish TikTok users to inspire you.
Interact with your audience. This app has unique features to engage with your audience, such as augmented reality tools or the Gaga Dance Machine. Take benefit of them to increase engagement in new ways.
Take advantage of events. Every year the TikTok carnival is organized, and last year the tickets were sold out. For brands, it can be a very good chance to interact with influencers and celebrities, as well as to promote their products and boost sales.
Post frequently. According to the recommendations of the network itself, the ideal is to publish on TikTok about five times a week. As for the time, the greatest impact is achieved between 8 and 12 at night.